Tactical voting survey: SiU press release

Polling commissioned by SiU from YouGov shows that 1 in 7 Scots will vote tactically at the General Election

One in seven Scots will vote tactically in the forthcoming General Election, results from a recent YouGov poll for Scotland In Union suggest, with the final figure potentially being even higher. Based on our estimations of a 75% turnout (higher than for the 2010 general election, but lower than in the 2014 referendum), tactical voting could deliver around 16,000 extra votes for selected candidates, saving many Labour, Liberal Democrat and Conservative seats.

Only 76% of those polled said that the party they intend to vote for is their first choice. The results of the poll show that 14% intend to vote for a party that is not their first choice, but which stands a better chance of beating a party they like even less. The remaining 10% could also be considered potential tactical voters.

Alastair Cameron from Scotland in Union said: These figures are from across Scotland, so the proportion could be significantly higher in key constituencies. We're hearing examples of intended tactical voting in many constituencies, as people look closely at the realistic options available to them. People are realising that without tactical voting, they could accidentally hand victory to divisive candidates who wont work positively for Scotland and the UK.

Ends.

About the research

All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 1,111 adults. Fieldwork was undertaken between 16th - 20th April 2015. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all Scottish adults (aged 18+).The questions and results were as follows:

 

Westminster voting intention

 

Total

Con

Lab

Lib Dem

SNP

The party I intend to vote for is my first choice

76%

75%

81%

69%

90%

The party I intend to vote for is not my first choice, but stands a better chance of beating a party I like even less

14%

20%

16%

27%

7%

Not sure

10%

5%

3%

4%

3%

 

About Scotland in Union

Scotland in Union (SIU) is a non-party, non-profit movement that promotes the benefits of Scotland being part of the United Kingdom. SIUs main focus is long term, to inform people about the UK and to help them understand the Scottish political situation. Some of SIUs activity in supporting Scotland in the UK relates to the 2015 election. More information is available at www.scotlandinunion.co.uk .

Media enquiries

Email: info@scotlandinunion.co.uk 

Register Your Support Contact Us Subscribe to our newsletter